Monday 10 February 2014

Introducing Ryland Hawes-Wright!

My name is Ryland Hawes-Wright, I’m a grade 11 student at Kununurra District High School in the KEFL program. My family is originally from Albany and we moved here due to dads work. I have one sister a dog and a cat. I live in lakeside in our new house which we built last year.

KEFL stands for Kimberly Education For Life, the program splits our week into two days of work as a trainee, hopefully at Boab Refrigeration & Air Conditioning. We do one day of TAFE as well during the week in which we receive a Certificate II in our chosen topic, mine being engineering. To top off our week we do two days of school which consist of Outdoor Education, English and Maths which I am doing by SIDE.

I decided to join the KEFL program because it sounded perfect for my future with what I want to do. When I finish the KEFL program I want to get an apprenticeship as an electrician. I am very excited to be taking part in the KEFL program due to all the agriculture and outdoor education activities.

I have set some education goals for myself over the coming year which is do finish my side maths and do well in it. KEFL will be a difficult challenge because we have a very limited time to do our work, also being put being placed out at a station and learning everything about agriculture and working/living on a station. Through this course we also gain our welding ticket.

During the KEFL program we participate in many endorsed programs which help us graduate with our year 12 WACE certificate. These activities include our skipper’s ticket, bronze medallion, senior first aid and white card.

The unique part of the KEFL program is the opportunity to complete a Certificate II in Agriculture. During or Certificate II course we will gain knowledge and experience about working and living on a station. This year the station KEFL is based at is Gibb River Station which is 400km away from Kununurra. We learn how to care for and muster

In five years I hope to be finishing off my apprenticeship or having finished my apprenticeship and working to save money and travel. When my apprenticeship is finished I hope to travel all over the world and work on the go, then once finished travelling work and maybe start my own company. Or work on the mines, oil rigs or overseas.

No comments:

Post a Comment