Monday 10 February 2014

Introducing Katie Havili!

Hello my name is Katie Havili. I’m a 17 year old student studying at Kununurra District High School. I’m also participating in the KEFL program (Kimberly Education for Life) for 2014 and hopefully I will get to graduate from KEFL and school at the end of 2015.
I was born in MacKay but lived in Darwin most of my life. I’m Aboriginal & Kiwi; my dad’s from Darwin but lives in Katharine with his wife and my 5 other siblings.
My mum is from New Zealand but lives on the Gold Coast with her husband and my 6 other siblings.
KEFL stands for Kimberly Education for Life, it is a school based program where you get to choose were you would like to complete a school based traineeship two days a week. My placement is at Save the Children. I will be doing a traineeship with them it’s sort of been like my dream job since I was a kid because I’ve always wanted to help little kids and I’m also completing a Certificate II in Community Services.
My short term educational goal is to finish Term One and be able to complete all of my tasks that are given to me.
My long term educational goal is to stay in KEFL right through until I graduate year 12 and to study hard, and to get my WACE certificate.
The thing I will find difficult in KEFL is my assignments and trying to keep up to date with my school work.  I think I will also find some of the activities hard as we have to do canoeing, bike riding and maybe my maths course work because I’m not very good at maths, but hope to be better by the end of the year.
I chose KEFL because it sounds fun and I’ve seen a lot of brochures about it, you get to be with your classmates and work as a team. You get to experience all kinds of Outback Adventures and most schools around Australia don’t give students an opportunity like this.
Being a part of KEFL you get to do things like mustering, abseiling, metal work, building fences, camping, canoeing, horseback riding etc. We will be going on a canoeing camp which should be next term and every week we will be going and practicing. Every Wednesday we shall be going to the pool to practice our bronze medallion so that we can go on our canoeing and kayaking on the lake.  We are going to a working station which is Gibb River Station and we will be completing our certificate II in Agriculture.

No comments:

Post a Comment