Thursday 13 February 2014

Howdy!

My name is Jesse Shaw. I am a year 11 student at Kununurra District High School (KDHS). I moved up to Kununurra in December 2010, from Perth. This year, I enrolled in the Kimberley Education for Life program (KEFL). I chose KEFL for my year 11 pathway as it is what I thought, would suit me best. I want to get an apprenticeship and I enjoy Outdoor Education activities which is what KEFL is all about!

KEFL offers so many opportunities. You can earn your Certificate II in any course that you choose at TAFE, which I chose engineering. You can get your Certificate II in Agriculture, your white card, bronze medallion, your skipper’s ticket, senior first aid and many other endorsed programs. The KEFL program consists of attending your traineeship (paid work) for two days, school for two days and TAFE for one.

Our outdoor educational classes for this year include bike riding and canoeing. Our bike ride consists of us venturing down Parry’s Creek Road, starting from Kununurra. Our canoeing expedition is a 23km trip. Starting at the Argyle Dam Wall and finishing off at Cooliman Creek. Throughout the year we will be visiting numerous amounts of stations in the Kimberley. This is where we do our agricultural work. Out on the stations we do horse riding and horse care, mustering, welding and fencing, 4x4 driving and many other farming duties. We also participate in a lot of work with cattle such as de-horning, castrating and branding.

I would like to get my apprenticeship with a plumbing company. This trade interests me because I chose it for my Year 10 work experience and really enjoyed it. Another reason, is because my Pop owns his own plumbing company down south. This holds a lot of potential for the future.

My short term educational goals are to do well in my Certificate II in engineering and agriculture. Complete and pass my 2 A/B Students of Isolated Distance Education (SIDE) math course, pass my English and pass my Outdoor Education studies.

My long term educational goals are to have achieved my Cert. 2 in engineering and agriculture. Pass my 2 C/D math course and pass my other subjects which are English and Outdoor Ed. I also want to achieve my Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE).


I think the most difficult part of KEFL will be managing and using my time efficiently with my work. This will be hard as we aren’t at school very much.

In 5 years’ time I would like to see myself either finishing off my apprenticeship or, being a qualified plumber.   

Cadjup!

No comments:

Post a Comment