Sunday 9 February 2014

Introducing Justina Howard!

Hi my name is Justina Howard. I was born in Broome, and then moved to Kununurra. I have 3 brothers and 3 sisters; I am the second youngest in my family. I am a year 11 student at Kununurra District High School in the KEFL (Kimberley Education For Life) program.

I chose KEFL as my year 11 and 12 pathway because I wanted to start a traineeship that compliments the course I am currently doing at Tafe, which is a Certificate II in Community Service. The KEFL program is a school based traineeship program that offers 2 days in the work force, 2 days at school and 1 day at TAFE.

I chose KEFL because I wanted to start a traineeship while I am still in school. I wanted to continue going to TAFE and make myself more employable then the other students who are doing the other pathways in year 11 and 12. I also wanted to see what it would be like when I do leave school and go into the workplace.

The KEFL program allows you to get your white card, bronze medallion, skippers ticket, first aid certificate and a drivers license. You also get your Certificate II in Agriculture, for this we go out to Gibb River Station and work. We also do a welding course at TAFE so when we go out to the station we can do fencing with enough skills that we learnt from TAFE.

KEFL offers a whole range of different activities. Such as, horse riding, branding, castrating, fencing, which we do out at Gibb River Station, camping, canoeing, kayaking, swimming and a lot more fun activities to do out at Yeehaa and around the greater Kununurra region. 

KEFL interests me because I get to experience new things in the agriculture industry. Also going on camps and interacting with my peers in the program, learning new things and getting trained throughout the Outdoor Education Activities.

At TAFE I am studying Community Services, because childcare is where I wish to work when I graduate from school. For my 2 days work, I am working at the Kununurra Ewin Centre. I also completed my work experience at the Ewin Centre last year. During the 3 weeks completion, I worked in 3 different areas aging from babies – big kids (school aged kids). I learnt the Occupational Health and Safety procedures that occur in the Centre.

My short term goals for my education are to stay in KEFL for the whole 2 years that I have agreed to and complete all task work, attend Tafe to complete my certificates and to get my Certificate II in Community Service and to a have a good standard in my attendance at school.

My short term goals for my career are to always attend my 2 days work at the Ewin Centre, also to find myself a full time job when I graduate from school, and hopefully to find a position at the Ewin Centre.

My long term goal for my education is finishing year 12 with enough WACE points to get my WACE Certificate.

My long term goal for my career is to continue working in childcare, helping and supporting families who are in need.

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you all the best for the coming year Tina! Can't wait to see you on a horse! :)

    ReplyDelete