Sunday 9 February 2014

Introducing Peter Davies!

Hello my name is Peter Davies I am a Year 11 student at Kununurra District High School in the KEFL program. I am Aboriginal and I grew up in the Kununurra area. KEFL stands for Kimberley Education For Life and is a program that ensures students get the best experiences that prepare them for life and work after school.                                           
The thing that most interests me about KEFL is the experiences that we are going to have this year. KEFL is a unique school program because it allows students to work two days a week in a school based traineeship. I am looking forward to working because I want to save the money that I earn which is $180 per week. We are at school two days a week completing WACE subjects English, Maths and Outdoor Education, and we spend one day at TAFE completing a Certificate II in our chosen field – mine is Automotive.
Another unique aspect about the KEFL program is the opportunity to complete a Certificate II in Agriculture.  We do this out at Gibb River Station which is approx. 400km away from Kununurra down the Gibb River Road. Some of the things we will be doing on the station include:
·         Fencing                                         
·         Welding     
·         Horse riding and horse shoeing, horsemanship and care
·         De horning, branding and castrating
·         Mustering
·         4WD, learning to ride quad bikes, tractors etc.
                                        
The field I would like to seek employment in would be automotive because I enjoy hands on work. I have done automotive before in TAFE and I really enjoyed the type of work and a plus side is that we get paid for the work that we are going to be doing.      
                                                  
My short term goals are to get thought this year of KEFL and TAFE to earn my Certificate II in Automotive and hopefully finish all my set work to get my WACE points for the following year. My long term goals is to finish school with all my certificates and seek employment in the Automotive Industry, and hopefully become a heavy diesel mechanic and work on the mines.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Peter, you are going to do extremely well in the KEFL program.

    ReplyDelete