Monday 16 February 2015

Dillan Kuiper Checking In!

Hi, my name is Dillan Kuiper, I’ve just started year 11 & my first year in the KEFL program. I wanted to be in KEFL because it opened up a much more enjoyable way for myself to complete my final schooling years, largely as I enjoy a more hands on approach to learning, plenty of physical activity & hands on work, which I know there will be plenty of in these next two years.

My family consists of myself, my mother, Fiona, my father, Colin, and my older sister, Laura. My parents manage a local hotel together, the Kununurra Country Club.  My older sister, Laura, is currently starting her second year at university, undertaking a Bachelor in Commerce double majoring in Tourism and Hospitality management and Public Relations, she has never been one to do things by halves if you can’t tell from that degree.

I was born in Perth, and moved to Kununurra when I was only two years old, so this is the only place I have ever really known. I have schooled at Kununurra District High School for all of my schooling years, so since kindy, up to present day.

I like playing a lot of sport, i.e. soccer, rugby and occasionally AFL, basically any sport that’s offered, I’ll play at the time. My other interests largely consist of playing with lighting and sound gear, as I have been doing it since I was about 9 years old and have a bit of a knack for theatrical lighting and most technology in general.

My traineeship has been organised to be undertaken at C&S Jolly Electrics over the next two years. My chosen TAFE course is Engineering as it has some electrical components that will go well with my chosen traineeship, also because I enjoy building/making things.

Upon completing school I am yet to decide what I shall do. I am tossing up between an electrical apprenticeship, or to apply to the West Australian Academy of Performing Arts (WAAPA for short), to do an Advanced theatrical lighting production & design course double majoring in production management services. Before doing that though I would love to go on a gap year and travel somewhere nice and cold, where I can snowboard as much as I wish, probably somewhere like Canada or somewhere in Europe.
For this year I hope to complete the year with high grades in Maths, English, and Outdoor Education, hopefully a minimum of a B in each, an A would be awesome though. To generally improve upon my grades from last year would be great.

I’m looking forward to most of this year, mainly for myself I’m looking forward to enjoying school for the first time in years, I think that will be the best thing for me. I’m also looking forward to all of the hands on work, I can’t stand sitting at a desk for hours doing bookwork, so it’s basically like torture for my mind, so all the hands on work will keep me focused. What I’m not looking forward to doing the pregnancy testings on the cows, personally having my arm inside a cow is not my ideal way to spend my time, for obvious reasons. Also the pain I’ll be in after the Outdoor Ed trips won’t be the best, so I’m not looking forward to that so much.


Dillan Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment